A hearty lamb and yogurt curry with mild flavours of cardamom and cockscomb flower extract.
- Stock Pot
- 750 gms Lamb shank or Lamb Curry Piecess
- 2 ½ liters water
- 1 ¼ tsp crushed garlic
- Salt to taste
- 8 nos green cardamoms
- 4 nos black cardamoms
- 6 nos cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp onion paste-fried
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder-dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- ½ cup Ghee
- ½ cup dry cockscomb (mawal flowers-heated with 1/2 cup water; extract
- ½ tsp black cumin seeds
- ½ tsp dry mint leaves
- Bring the water to a boil in a stockpot.
- Add the lamb and remove the scum that rises to the surface.
- When the water is clear, add the garlic and continue to boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the salt and cook until the lamb is half done.
- Add the green and black cardamoms, cloves, turmeric powder, ginger powder, onion paste, yogurt, red chilli in water and ghee.
- Mix well, reduce heat and cook covered until the lamb is tender.
- Add the cockscomb flower extract and black cumin seeds.
- Mix well and sprinkle dry mint leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Mawal flower can be substituted with Ratanjot extract.